Family & Juvenile Law Omaha
Anita L. Mayo, P.C., L.L.O.

Removal of a Child from the Jurisdiction

To move out of state with your child after a divorce, you must present very detailed evidence to the court that moving is in the best interest of the child. Building a case for removal requires the assistance of an experienced family law attorney. At Family & Juvenile Law Omaha, our lead attorney, Anita L. Mayo, has been handling removal cases for more than 20 years.

Child Relocation

If you are planning to move out of state with your child, you will need to show that your reason for moving is legitimate. Are you moving for a better job opportunity? Will you lose your job if you do not move? Has your spouse been transferred? Will moving improve your child's living arrangement? These are just a few of the questions that you may be asked when you begin your request to move.

If your former spouse plans to move, he or she will need to prove that moving will be beneficial to the child. The court will also consider the impact that the move may have on you if your former spouse takes your child out of state. The strength of your children's ties to extended family and to the community will also factor into the court's decision.

No matter what side of the equation you are on, our lawyer will work to achieve your goals; however, it is crucial to keep in mind that the court's decision will come down to these six words - "the best interests of the child."

Pensive Child

Copyright  © Family & Juvenile Law Omaha, Anita L. Mayo, P.C., L.L.O.. All rights reserved.